Friday, May 14, 2010

I'll have the Meatloaf, please.

I ignored a few patients at work today, and quite possibly my ringing phone, literally watching the seconds tick down to 10am when Meatloaf tickets went on sale.

I can hear what you're saying, and yes - this shit just got real.

I've loved Meatloaf since I was a very tiny girl. Paradise by the Dashboard Light was, weirdly, one of the most romantic songs I have ever heard. It has lust, urgency, insatiable appetite, and most importantly it has sex noises. Lots of sex noises. I fell in love with Meatloaf, never having actually seen him as I was too young to watch music videos. Once I did see what he looked like, and decided I wasn't going to marry him when I grew up, I really just focused on his voice. That man can sing. It doesn't matter if you're a fan or not, you have to admit he can belt out a tune. As he's aged he's fallen into a new category - he's now one of my old man crushes.

Do all women have these? I've always had old man crushes on men who are inappropriately aged for me, yet somehow incredibly attractive. I loved Richard Gere when I was 12 and he was approaching middle-age. I had a massive crush on a 50 year old teacher. At certain weddings I have the pleasure of dancing with a man in his mid-50's (a family friend), and he's also joined the ranks of total crush. I also have crushes on priests, but I think that comes from going to catholic school and reading The Thorn Birds way too many times when I was going through puberty.

Word of the day: Octogenarian
Used in a sentence: There was something in the way the octogenarian ate his jello that made her insides stir.

2 comments:

  1. i've always had these crushes too.
    first, it was paul, a friend of my dad's... i was five when he promised he would never marry and wait for me.
    teachers, much older brothers of friends.... and even now, jack, a 60 something retired insurance man. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Thorn Birds threw me too.
    I've never been able to look at a priest without thinking of it again.

    And, I'm a converted catholic.

    ReplyDelete