Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Holy fuck, cabbits aren't real?

Yeah. I know. Cabbits aren't real? This falls into the fishing-with-tonsils category, I suppose. For a long time I believed that cabbits existed. Cabbits are the result of a cat and a rabbit mating and producing offspring. Big in the 80's and 90's, pictures of cabbits surfaced here and there, usually depicting a creature with the front legs and head of a cat and the back legs and tail of a rabbit.

I thought these genuinely exist. Not to the point where I believed people were breeding cabbits. I thought cabbits bred from cats and rabbits would be sterile offspring, much like mules. I can't quite recall where I first heard of these things, but up until a few minutes ago I believed they were real. The screeches and howls of laughter coming out of my husband made me angry, and desperate to prove him wrong I turned to our virtual marriage counsellor, the one who always saves us from marital spats and disagreements -

Her name is Google, and she's amazing.

However, Google is a finicky lady and has let me down on numerous occasions, preferring to side with my husband on many issues, leaving me looking stupid and irrational. Tonight was another one of those times.

The cabbit does not exist. I won't go into it too much, I dislike being wrong...but I will use the words "mythological", "legend" and the phrase "biological impossibility". The last one I take a bit of issue with - we have no idea what could be biologically possible in the future, why insist that not only am I wrong now but I'll also be wrong 100 years from now as well? That's just being twatty.

I was desperate to arrive at some sort of justification for my belief. Perhaps I was just mislead by the fact that rabbits and cats have sex, they just can't breed? Google was unwilling to budge on her position, and patronized me with youtube clips of rabbits and cats that are clearly uninterested in having sex with each other. Only one cat was semi-willing to entertain an amorous bunny, but had very little patience and put on her clothes and left midway through without even exchanging numbers.

That's another thing - cats and rabbits do not have sex with each other.

I guess I'm not too disappointed. It's not like I wanted one for a pet. I just wanted to see some pictures of cabbits frolicking in their natural habitat, maybe laying out in the sun, just doing what other scientific mysteries do.


Word of the day: Pellucid.
Used in a sentence: "Mr. Rabbit," said Miss Cat "Your intentions are well-known and pellucid. But Google says it cannot be done, and Google is always right."

No comments:

Post a Comment