Monday, March 28, 2011

Thingamaknobbers and Fuckamagadgets







I'm not big on technology. Well, that's not entirely true - I love technology, and would never be without it. I'd cry if I didn't have access to running water, a hair dryer and straightener, my car, and everything else that helps me along in the average day. I guess I have Apathetic Doodad Syndrome, in that I never use technological devices to their fullest potential. I have an iPod Classic and it has one playlist on it. A really big and long playlist because sorting my music is too much hassle. I have this laptop that I quite enjoy, but admittedly only use for squeaking around on the internet. I bought my husband a DVR as a gift, not realizing it wasn't compatible with my really old television...I still don't know how to use the recording option on it. I got my first cell phone in 2006, finally pushed into it by my husband because his favourite mode of communication is texting. Until then I had been cellphone-free (not less, but FREE) and quite happy about it.

My first cell was a Sony Ericsson, a cheery little number that was also a combination MP3 player. I never used the MP3 player, it didn't have a single song downloaded onto it except for my beloved Ghostbusters ringtone that no one seemed to appreciate for some reason. It came with a contract and the absolute promise that it would work out at my parents' place in Ontario. I quickly found out my little phone would work in Glasgow, Amsterdam, Philadelphia, Toronto, Chicago, London and Minneapolis but not 6 hours away at my parents' house. This annoyed me beyond reason and my phone became a thorn in my side. It quickly fell out of favour, and aside from having to fill my contractual obligations I had very little use for it.

Then my dog ate it (picture of dog included). Thankfully the SIM card was intact, so I bought another little phone from Winnipeg Buy and Sell that would utilise my SIM card and used that until my contract ran out. I dropped it a few weeks later, cracking the faceplate, and put the only sticky thing I could find on it - a Curious George bandaid (it did match in its own way). It wasn't pretty, but it worked. It slips into German predictive text on occasion, I can't use the calendar because it reverts back to 2003 all by itself, the ringtones reset themselves so I never know that it's my cell ringing in a public place, and it isn't internet capable. But it can text sometimes, and call people other times, so it met my simple needs.

Eventually my contract ran out and the freedom I was looking for became a sudden mental prison - I could go out and get a new contract and phone, but God what should I get? I didn't want anything. Phones were bigger now, and silly colours, and had eight versions of themselves. The choice was daunting, overwhelming, and I couldn't trust the liars at the phone desk to sell me what I needed. The wound from my first phone was still open and raw. I kept a no contract phone for 2 years longer than I needed to because of indecision. And laziness.

I knew I didn't want an iPhone. I can't handle one without wiping my sleeve on it, trying to rid it of fingerprints, and they aren't even my phones. I needed something classic, nice-looking but functional, slim but not James Bond, with a bigger screen that I can actually see. I finally found her, a BlackBerry Curve 3G in Smokey Violet. She's lovely, understated, light but sturdy. She spoke to me the second I saw her. I won't lie, she's a complicated lady - but I know we'll have years and years together that I can spend figuring her out because I'm just loyal that way. And lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment